Monday, December 14, 2009

Horse Races in the Desert!


Another great day in Yuma today. The sun was up early and stayed out all day. It got up to at least 20 degrees and was just perfect.
I had to go into Yuma this morning to go for another chiropractic treatment on my neck and shoulder, and took the bike in and really enjoyed the ride. When I got back to the resort we sat out and enjoyed the sun for a while up to lunch time.
We had to get ready for the big "Horse Race"! Once a month the resort puts on a horse race, where you buy an $8.00 ticket, and enjoy the races, and then have a nice steak dinner.
The races started about 3:00 and finished at 5:00 and then it was dinner time! Judy was the photographer today with her camera...
This was our table, which was made up of our "happy hour crowd"...

These are the horses, that they line up, all six of them, and the race caller rolls two dice, one for the horse number, and the other dice for the number of tile squares to move him towards the finish. It is a lot of fun, and gets a little rowdy out there in the crowd at times....


In the second race, I was one of the big winners, so Judy had to take my picture with my horse and not to forget the Jockey!
Note that I wore my "Canada" shirt today, and no Americans got bent out of shape....

Here is our neighbour, David and myself burning the "mammal flesh".... David, and his wife Marie, are from the northern tip of Alberta where it is been -39 degrees for the last week! They sold their home and bought a motorhome (sound familiar?) a couple of years ago, and have been coming to this resort the last couple of years and really like it. They stay for 6 months and then back to Alberta. David was a truck driver and retired REAL early, I think he was only 48 or so when he retired.

The BBQ's are compliments of the Resort, you can use them when you need them! Most of the Americans were cooking on the large charcoal pit, as they seem to like that better than the gas BBQ....

I found this picture as I was routing through Judy's camera. She took it the other day as I was doing some work on my bike in my "Garage". It is nice to have bit of a garage, as the one thing I really miss from our home, was my garage! Yes, that is my "Maple Leaf Flag" flying in the front of the trailer if you look closely, and yes, thank you for asking, they did win the "Battle of Ontario" tonight by beating the Ottawa Sens 3 to 2.... ya.... take that Ottawa!!!!

We received great new today, that John and Pat Morrison have booked their flights, and will arrive on Dec. 31 to Yuma, maybe shortly after lunch, and certainly in time for "Happy Hour" and then New Years Eve Festivities! Can't wait. Based on this information, Judy and I went down to the front office and we have booked ourselves for another month to be here when the Morrisons are! We will now be here until at least Jan. 28th 2010. Don't worry John and Pat, we will save some great weather for you! Around here it seems to come real easy! Noted today it was still snowing in Muskoka and we received some crazy pictures from Cathy Whitfield who works out at the Prison. I could not believe how much snow has fallen up there.... I really, really miss it.....

Till tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment