Sunday, December 19, 2010

How do you catch cold in the DESERT???

Don’t have a clue how I did it, but managed to catch myself a wonderful Desert cold!  I think this is the first actual cold I have had in a couple or three years! 

Hence, today was a shut down day… Did not do a whole lot. 

HOWEVER!  Did you know…

DSCN6604

I had a bit of time on my hands as I took life easy and found some neat info on  all of those windmills out in the desert here at Palm Springs.

For example, there are over 3,100 of them! (My estimate was 1,000)   They are currently working on the 4th Generation of Windmill here!  75% of them here are made in Holland, and the rest in Germany.  The newest ones are BIG, and capable of running 2,100 homes from 1 single windmill!   Currently, there are over 16,000 windmills in California alone, and take care of the electric needs of over 1 Million People!

The wind has to blow at least 14 MPH in order for a windmill to start turning, and if the winds blow over 45 MPH, the windmills will just shutdown.  California generates 80% of the wind generated electricity in the world! 

Here at Desert Hot Springs, we are located right at the San Gorgonia Pass, and there is enough wind here to run the mills 300 days a year.  In the morning, the wind blows usually from west to east, however in the afternoon it blows generally east to west – hence, 1/2 of the wind mills point to the east, and 1/2 to the west!  The annual maintenance on 1 windmill is $30,000.00 per year!

See what happens when I catch a cold!

Till tomorrow…

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the posting about the windmills, we just arrived yesterday and were quite curious about them. Sorry about your catching a cold - with a rainy day like today, a hot toddy would probably be welcome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. even if you head is full of a cold..you are still full of information!..thanks for sharing all the knowledge!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know those windmills well! We can see them from our park and can tell what kind of a day it's going to be just by watching them. I always like it when they aren't even moving!

    ReplyDelete